Design Guidelines Update
**A public meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, January 30 – see details below**
The City of Bainbridge Island is updating its design guidelines. The purpose of the design guidelines is to produce higher-quality development that reflects the Island’s values and character.
The City's design guidelines are a method of guiding development and enhancing the quality of buildings, sites and the public realm. Some of the guidelines include: streetscape design, public space (plazas and courtyards), and building design (proximity to street, materials, roof appearance, etc.). The design guidelines are used by the Design Review Board to assess the merits of a project's design.
Objectives for the update include:
- Assess community preferences and appropriate aesthetic and design standards through public education and outreach efforts.
- Analyze the existing design guidelines and develop a recommended outline of reorganized and updated guidelines that serves the entire island community and individual commercial, mixed use, and neighborhood districts.
- Produce an adoptable set of new or updated design guidelines that will preserve and enhance the Island’s special character and ensure sustainability, and appropriateness for the community, neighborhoods, and the environment while allowing for variety and creativity.
- Maximize the effectiveness of the guidelines as a tool for encouraging better design while keeping the guidelines clear and easy to use by applicants, Design Review Board members, City staff, and the public.
- Identify ways to improve administration of the design guidelines.
The City is hosting a public meeting on Wednesday, January 30. The purpose of this meeting is to gather public input and present findings of the existing conditions analysis, best practices, and opportunities for the design guidelines update.
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
6:00 – 7:30 pm
City Hall Council Chamber
280 Madison Avenue N
City staff will also be on late afternoon/early evening sailings of the Bainbridge Island – Seattle ferry on Wednesday, January 23 to provide information and answer questions about the design guidelines update.
Questions? Contact Christy Carr at 206.780.3719 or firstname.lastname@example.org